“It was a dark and stormy night when Edgar Allan was founded nearly a decade ago.…”
Actually, that spring, the weather in Atlanta was just fine. But when we started our soon-to-be Webflow agency, it was with the idea that we wanted to build digital experiences around the structure of storytelling, using the features of narrative — heroes and guides, rise and fall of action, challenges and resolutions — as a way to build digital experiences. In all our work, we strive to understand how all of the “characters” might interact with a digital product, from author to user and everyone in between. Story is at the heart of everything we do.
But one of the challenges of being story-driven within the digital space is that there’s typically a bunch of technology, and often gated knowledge, between an idea and its execution. Very early on we knew that we needed to re-design our web design process and structure it to better serve our story-centered mission.
We investigated many different tools early on, but there was no crystal ball to point us in the right direction. We were haunted by the more established content management systems (CMS) like WordPress, which promise malleability around managing content but instead feel like a technology system that content is shoehorned into (as opposed to the other way around).
Then came a serendipitous change in the winds. We found Webflow… and we never looked back.
From our team to yours, here are 10 reasons why we’re bewitched by Webflow and everything that makes it great.
10. One word — and no, it’s not “Abracadabra!” It’s WYSIWYG (or, “what you see is what you get,” which is actually seven words, but who’s counting?). You can make updates in Webflow directly on the page and immediately see how they look; no more anxious waiting! Even visualize changes to animations or styling in real-time.
9. Webflow is a no-code visual development platform. While there is definitely code at the foundation of a Webflow site, and you can manipulate every aspect of the build (just as you can with a hard-coded site), much of what you need to create a fully functional site can be done via a much simpler visual editor, making creating a professional website more straightforward than ever for anyone — even the most non-technical user. (If you don’t believe us, check out the interactions.)
8. Behind the scenes, Webflow inherently and easily integrates with other technologies like Three.js, ecommerce solutions, translation services, and collaborative tools like Knockout: an Edgar Allan-made end-to-end development framework that helps designers and Webflow developers accomplish more together.
7. Building in Webflow can be as complex or as basic as you want it to be, accessible to beginners and advanced users alike. If you don’t know much starting out, you can easily attend Webflow University (or grab any number of other tutorials online). But if you’re more advanced in your technical know-how, you can also really drill in and let your imagination run wild.
6. Remember the days of olde, writing websites in Word documents (like we did for eons)? With Webflow, those days have vanished into thin air! Welcome to the age of writing and proofreading copy directly in the browser. Adding and editing content in the Webflow Editor is as flawless as pulling a rabbit out of your hat.
5. Clients are dazzled. Finally, a CMS that makes their lives easier while maintaining and updating content! And if they do need some extra Webflow support as they learn to manage their new site, as a Webflow agency we can help with that, too.
4. Webflow is a fantastic visual teaching and learning tool, for everything from the CSS box model to transforms, animations, and responsive design. We don’t even want to think about how hard it is to learn HTML and CSS without visualization!
3. If you have a site that already exists as a different CMS, or are looking to migrate from WordPress to Webflow, Webflow makes it easy for a Webflow agency like us to help you facilitate that transition.
2. This one comes directly from our self-proclaimed resident “breaker-of-things”: You can go in and make some tweaks, like updating imagery or content, knowing it can’t be wrecked. And if you DO break something, rolling back to an earlier version is incredibly simple. Basically, you just can’t break anything in the Webflow Editor.
And the top reason why Webflow is our number-one CMS choice?
1. While we came for the product, we stayed for the support — and the community. We’ve been able to learn so much from others working within this vibrant visual platform, especially the Spanish-speaking Webflow community. They’ve helped us push our work further, and we hope that we’re helping to push the web into another realm of possibility.
Is it any wonder that Webflow has cast a spell over us?
Managing your CMS doesn’t have to be scary! Edgar Allan is a brand-to-build Webflow agency that can help you every step of the way. Browse our blog to learn more about our unique story-led philosophy and get more Webflow tricks and treats.